Swami Sri Yukteswar
10 May 1855 - 9 March
Some facts related to Sri Yukteswar
Giri and The Holy Science
- Sri Yukteswar wrote The Holy Science on the advice of Mahavatar Babaji in order to show the
unity between different religions.
- Sri Yukteswar Giri mentioned in the preface of the book that the present yuga is Dwapara
yuga, a time of growing consciousness. He proves this point taking observations from scriptures
and astronomical calculations.
- Sri Yukteswar says that 'The intellect of man in Treta Yuga will comprehend the attributes
of divine magnetism (the next Treta Yuga will start in AD 4099).
- In this book, certain truths such as those about the properties of magnetism, its auras,
different sorts of electricities, etc., have been mentioned, although modern science has not
yet fully discovered them -Sri Yukteswar
- The book is divided into four sections by Swami Sri Yukteswar. The four sections are 1.
Veda (The Gospel), 2. Abhistam (The Goal), 3.Sadhanam (The Procedure), 4. Vibhuti (The
Revelation). Swami Sri Yukteswar mentions in the preface that these sections are organized
according to the four stages in the development of knowledge.
- In the conclusion part of the book, Swami Sri Yukteswar quotes the following Stanza from
Sir Walter Scott.
"Love rules the court, the camp, the grove,
The men below and saints above;
For Love is heaven and heaven is love."
Sri Yukteswar writes: 'The power of love has been beautifully described by the
poet in the stanza quoted above.
- In another context, Swami Sri Yukteswar quotes Lord Becan: "To keep company with the Guru
is not only to be in his physical presence (as this is some times impossible), but mainly to
keep him in our hearts and to be one with him in principle and to attune ourselves with him.
This thought has been expressed by Lord Becan: 'A crowd is not a company, it is a mere gallery
- The Holy Science written by Swami Sri Yukteswar is a small book of 122 pages.
- The original Sanskrit name for this book is Kaivalya Darshanam - literally means exposition
of final truth or vision of the truth.
- Sri Yukteswar is the son of Kshetranath Karar and Kadambini and his earlier name was Priya
- Sri Yukteswar took swami order from Bodh Gaya, Bihar. He belonged to the Giri ("Mountain")
branch of the Swami order in India. This is as per the swami order organized by Sri Adi
- The preface for the book holy science was written by WY Evans-Wentz, the author or 'The
Tibetan book of the Dead' and the foreword was written by Yogananda.
The Holy Science
by Swami Sri Yukteswar
In this section of minsobooks.com, you can read extracts from the
book The Holy Science, read articles related to the book and about Sri Yukteswar. One of his
popular works was his interpretation of Yuga
Theory. Also related: Review of the book The Holy
"Forget the past." Sri Yukteswar would console him.
"The vanished lives of all men are dark with many shames. Human conduct is ever
unreliable until anchored in the Divine. Everything in future will improve if you are
making a spiritual effort now."
-Swami Sri Yukteswar quoted in
Click on the links below to read the topics:
- Read extracts from The Holy Science
Some extracts from The Holy Science. The Holy Science was written by Swami Sri Yukteswar on the advice of Babaji in order to show similarity between the teachings of regilions.
- About Swami Sri Yukteswar
Life and details about Swami Sri Yukteswar as explained by Yogananda in the book 'The Atobiography of a Yogi'. A consolidation from various points mentioned by him. Sri Yukteswar is the author of the renowned book 'The Holy Science'.
- Swami Sri Yukteswar - Childhood Stories
Here are childhood stories of Swami Sri Yukteswar, as told by himself along with a moral when Yogananda asked him. These stories are summarized from ever popular book 'The Autobiography of a Yogi'. Swami Sri Yukteswar is the author of The Holy Science and the Guru of Yogananda.
- Swami Sri Yukteswar about Astrology
Swami Sri Yukteswar about astrology - is from in the chapter outwitting the stars in the autobiography of a Yogi. He explains that astrology is not equal to fate and our stars are in our own hands. Sri Yukteswar is the Guru of Yogananda and author of The Holy Science.
- Swami Sri Yukteswar about Genesis
Swami Sri Yukteswar interprets Genesis from Bible, explaining to Yogananda in the 'autobiography of a Yogi'. He provides the underlying symbolic meaning of the Adam Eve story. Sri Yukteswar is the Guru of Yogananda and the author of The Holy Science.
- Sri Yukteswar - about Yugas
In The Holy Science, Swami Sri Yukteswar Giri discusses about 4 Yugas and concludes that the present yuga is dwapara yuga and not Kali yuga. This article is the summary of the discussion by Swami Sri Yukteswar Giri. You can also download the earlier full version of this article as ebook.
- Books related to Swami Sri Yukteswar
Books related to Swami Sri Yukteswar and Kriya yoga path. Swami Sri Yukteswar's most popular work is 'The Holy Science'. This book was written at the advice of Mahavatar Babaji to show the unity between different religions.
- Yuga Cycle Video
The Great Year Video aptly demonstrates the rise and fall of consciousness with time as explained in Yuga theory by Sri Yukteswar and other civilizations.